- Staff Reporter
THIBODAUX, La. — After knocking off Abilene Christian on Thursday evening, the Nicholls State University women’s volleyball program (9-7, 3-2 Southland) aims to make a quick turnaround prior to a Saturday morning match with conference opponent UIW (4-15, 0-5 Southland), first serve against the Cardinals set for 10 a.m. at Stopher Gym in Thibodaux, La.
Despite a decent start to the 2019 campaign — including season debut victory over Louisiana-Lafayette and a home win against Northern Illinois — UIW has faltered thus far into league competition, dropping the team’s first five contests with three coming by a straight-set sweeps. Oppositely, the Colonels have bolted out to the program’s best Southland start in recent memory, as the current 3-2 mark serves as the first above .500 record for the Red & Gray since the 2014 season (3-2 through five matches).
Individually, Nicholls continues to find offensive rhythm from sophomores RS Katie Jones & OH Emily Gauthreaux, both of which exceed 160 total kills on the season and average 2.73 kills per set or better. Defensively, senior L Emily Venable & junior OH Kate Hoerdemann have anchored the squad, each averaging over 3.00 digs per set, while sophomore MB Aaliyah Burras has managed a majority of the blocking responsibilities, racking up 53.0 on the year.
- Kallie Noble enters her first season leading the Colonels, and currently sports a 9-7 (3-2) overall record with the Red & Gray.
- The team boasts two seniors: DS Emily Venable and OH Jennifer Olivarez.
- This year’s roster is highlighted by eight newcomers, as junior OH Kate Hoerdemann joined
- the program as transfer from Memphis while freshmen DS Rebecka Bollinger, OH Devon Bright, DS Bailey Lyons, OH Jackie Alanis, S Lilly Bivens, OH/S Jaida Felix and MB Abigail Bouzigard signed on directly from high school.
- This season’s depth chart features seven players from across the state of Louisiana, six from Texas, a pair from Illinois and one from each of the following: Georgia, Indiana, Missouri and South Carolina.
- The Colonels were projected to finish 12th in the Southland Conference, per the league’s preseason poll.
- Nicholls returns four of last season’s seven starters, including senior DS Emily Venable, junior MB Kimberly Iwunze and sophomores MB Aaliyah Burras & RS/OH Katie Jones.
WHAT: Nicholls vs. UIW
WHEN: Saturday, Oct. 12 | 10 a.m.
WHERE: Stopher Gym | Thibodaux, Louisiana
Following the conclusion of the two-match home stand, the Red & Gray pack their bags for the team’s longest Southland roadtrip of the season, traveling to Stephen F. Austin & Lamar this upcoming Thursday & Saturday, respectively, before hitting both Texas A&M-Corpus Christi & Sam Houston State the ensuing weekend.
Article sourced from provided press release.