- Staff Reporter
HOUSTON, Texas — With the two-match home stand completed, the Nicholls State University women’s volleyball program (7-7, 1-2 Southland) shifts focus to a quick roadtrip over to HBU (9-8, 1-1 Southland), trekking west across state lines to battle the Huskies on Thursday evening at 6:30 p.m. in Houston, Texas.
Individually, the offensive prowess of sophomores RS Katie Jones & OH Emily Gauthreaux continues to perplex opposing squads, ranking first (136) & second (131), respectively, in terms of total team kills while averaging over 2.57 kills per set each. Flying under the radar, junior S Meghan Wozniak has managed to move into the national standings in terms of assists, slotting at 87th in total (477) and 136th in assists per set (8.83). Within the Southland, Wozniak’s statistics place her firmly in second, trailing only New Orleans’ Lucie Pokorna.
Defensively, senior L Emily Venable owns a considerable lead in terms of total digs (209) as she inches closer to the program’s Top Five all-time list in the category, but junior OH Kate Hoerdemann continues to supply a steady influx of production as well, ranking second with 155 digs thus far.
- Kallie Noble enters her first season leading the Colonels, and currently sports a 7-7 (1-2) overall record with the Red & Gray.
- The team boasts two seniors: DS Emily Venable and OH Jennifer Olivarez.
- This year’s roster is highlighted by eight newcomers, as junior OH Kate Hoerdemann joined the program as transfer from Memphis while freshmen DS Rebecka Bollinger, OH Devon Bright, DS Bailey Lyons, OH Jackie Alanis, S Lilly Bivens, OH/S Jaida Felix and MB Abigail Bouzigard signed on directly from high school.
- This season’s depth chart features seven players from across the state of Louisiana, six from Texas, a pair from Illinois and one from each of the following: Georgia, Indiana, Missouri and South Carolina.
- The Colonels were projected to finish 12th in the Southland Conference, per the league’s preseason poll.
- Nicholls returns four of last season’s seven starters, including senior DS Emily Venable, junior MB Kimberly Iwunze and sophomores MB Aaliyah Burras & RS/OH Katie Jones.
WHAT: Nicholls at HBU
WHEN: Thursday, Oct. 3 | 6:30 p.m.
WHERE: Sharp Gym | Houston, Texas
Article sourced from provided press release.