- Staff Reporter
HIBODAUX, La. — The Nicholls State University women’s soccer program (3-8-1, 0-5-0 Southland) splits up a four-match league roadtrip with a quick return to the team’s home pitch this weekend, hosting in-state rival McNeese (8-3-0, 4-0-0 Southland) on Friday, Oct. 11 at 4 p.m. at the Nicholls Soccer Complex.
While the Cowgirls have kicked off their Southland Conference season with an impressive 4-0-0 record, every win has come by just one goal, including two in double overtime. Meanwhile, the Colonels continue searching for their first league victory of the year after falling in the team’s first five contests.
- Danny Free enters his first season leading Nicholls, and currently sports a 3-8-1 (0-5-0) overall record with the Red & Gray.
- The team boasts six seniors: GK Roosa Hurmerinta, D Jeanne Harson, F/MF Tessa Calabria, MF Elisabet Gunnthorsdottir, F/MF Blaire Laiche & F Kristy Helmers.
- This year’s roster is highlighted by nine newcomers, as junior F Cato Hom joined the program as a junior college transfer while freshmen MF Alicia Carlos, MF Lara Treuheit, D Caryn Bonadona, D Karina Gonzalez, F Sydney Wallace, MF Tabea Czech, F/MF Makena Terrell & F Maegan Terrell signed on directly from high school.
- This season’s depth chart features 11 players from across the state of Louisiana, five from Texas, a pair from Australia, another two from Germany and one from each of the following: Iceland, Finland & the Netherlands.
- The Colonels were projected to finish 12th in the Southland Conference, per the league’s preseason poll.
- Nicholls returns six of last season’s 11 starters, including seniors GK Roosa Hurmerinta, MF Elisabet Gunnthorsdottir, MF/D Blaire Laiche & D Jeanne Harson along with junior MF Hannah Bodron and sophomore D Caroline Morton.
WHAT: Nicholls vs. McNeese
WHEN: Friday, Oct. 11 | 4 p.m.
WHERE: Nicholls Soccer Complex | Thibodaux, La.
After the solo home match against McNeese, the Colonels jump back on the road and head to the Piney Woods for a battle against Stephen F. Austin on Friday, Oct. 18, kickoff against the Ladyjacks set for 7 p.m. in Nacogdoches, Texas.
Article sourced from provided press release.