- Staff Reporter
SHREVEPORT, La. – Outscoring their opposition 35-1, the East Texas Baptist University hockey team extended their historic start to eight wins in a row with a sweep over the University of North Texas. ETBU is 8-0 on the season as they end their home stand undefeated.
ETBU began their weekend with a 21-0 victory on Friday night as they would score eight goals in the first period, six in the second period, and seven in the third period. Six Tigers would score multiple goals as Davis Van Gemerden (four goals), Riley Knott (three goals), Timothy Zittel (three goals), Ryan Gruszka (two goals), Brandon Laing (two goals), and Skyler Spiller (two goals) combined for 16 goals. Alex Domas and Hunter McAdams would pair up in goal to put up a shutout in net.
On Saturday, ETBU would have three players obtain hat tricks in a 14-1 victory. Knott and Zittel would finish with two straight hat trick performances while Spiller would add the third hat-trick for the Tigers. Gruszka and Van Gemerden would finish with two goals each.
Game 1: ETBU 21, UNT 0
Nearly 90 seconds into the game, the scoring started as Van Gemerden would give ETBU an early 1-0 lead. He would then add two more goals (6:12, 16:54) while Timothy Zittel added two goals (14:02, 19:38). Albert Wiggins (5:25), Spiller (8:50), and Knott (12:50) added the other first period goals for an 8-0 lead. ETBU would tack on six more goals in the second period as Zittel would make it a hat trick (16:41) while Knott (9:23) and Spiller (19:04) added their second of the game. Alec Shea (10:26), Gruskza (13:20), and Laing (16:56) would make it 14-0 after two periods.
ETBU would finish the night averaging seven goals per period with seven in the third. Knott would pick up his hat trick nearly three minutes in while Van Gemerden added his fourth goal (7:57). Laing (8:03) netted his second goal of the contest while Drake Evans (9:51), Matt Duncan (14:24), and Devon Baird (16:06) finished off the scoring for the night.
- ETBU – Davis Van Gemerden (1:27)
- ETBU – Albert Wiggins (5:25)
- ETBU – Davis Van Gemerden (6:12)
- ETBU – Skyler Spiller (8:50)
- ETBU – Riley Knott (12:50)
- ETBU – Timothy Zittel (14:02)
- ETBU – Davis Van Gemerden (16:54)
- ETBU – Timothy Zittel (19:38)
- ETBU – Riley Knott (9:23)
- ETBU – Alec Shea (10:26)
- ETBU – Ryan Gruszka (13:20)
- ETBU – Timothy Zittel (16:41)
- ETBU – Brandon Laing (16:56)
- ETBU – Skyler Spiller (19:04)
- ETBU – Riley Knott (2:59)
- ETBU – Ryan Gruszka (7:40)
- ETBU – Davis Van Gemerden (7:57)
- ETBU – Brandon Laing (8:03)
- ETBU – Drake Evans (9:51)
- ETBU – Matt Duncan (14:24)
- ETBU – Devon Baird (16:06)
Game 2: ETBU 14, UNT 1
It would take a little longer for the Tigers to get on the board first as Knott (2:49) would find the net three minutes in. The rest of the first period would see UNT prevent plenty of scoring chances although ETBU would manage to get two goals with Baird (9:50) and Gruszka (17:03) connecting on their shots to lead 3-0.
ETBU would then explode for seven goals in the second period as Knott (1:05), Evans (2:37), Spiller (4:12), and Laing (5:16) would score in the first six minutes. In a span of 47 seconds, Van Gemerden (8:34, 9:21) would make it 9-0 with two straight goals while Gruskza added his second at 10:43. UNT would manage to get one into the net at 16:46 to trail 10-1 at the break.
The Tigers would finish with four goals in the third period as both Knott (3:25) and Spiller (6:37, 8:22) would get their hat tricks while Dylan Hedrick would tally the 14th and final goal for ETBU.
- ETBU – Riley Knott (2:49)
- ETBU – Devon Baird (9:50)
- ETBU – Ryan Gruszka (17:03)
- ETBU – Riley Knott (1:05)
- ETBU – Drake Evans (2:37)
- ETBU – Skyler Spiller (4:12)
- ETBU – Brendan Laing (5:16)
- ETBU – Davis Van Gemerden (8:34)
- ETBU – Davis Van Gemerden (9:21)
- ETBU – Ryan Gruszka (10:43)
- UNT – Eric Alford (16:46)
- ETBU – Riley Knott (3:25)
- ETBU – Skyler Spiller (6:37) (PP)
- ETBU – Skyler Spiller (8:22)
- ETBU – Dylan Hedrick (19:21)
ETBU will be on the road for their next game in Mansfield, Texas. The Tigers will take on TCU at 7:00 PM on Friday night and 2:00 PM on Saturday.
Article sourced from provided press release.