BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Plans for spending more than $1billion in newly approved federal flood recovery money will be discussed at a Jan. 6 meeting of the Restore Louisiana Task Force.
U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro announced Friday that Louisiana would receive more than $1.2 billion — part of a disaster relief package approved by Congress earlier this month.
Gov. John Bel Edwards said in a news release that federal rules require the state to present a plan to HUD before the money can be spent. He said he and the Louisiana congressional delegation worked to secure the money. It’s in addition to $438 million earmarked for Louisiana in September.
Edwards said the money doesn’t cover all of the state’s needs but marks a “significant milestone in our recovery.”
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.