- Staff Reporter
THIBODAUX, La. — Just a few days removed from a tight 3-2 victory over McNeese, the Nicholls State University women’s volleyball program (7-6, 1-1 Southland) returns to action against in-state rival Southeastern Louisiana (7-9, 2-1 Southland), hosting the Lady Lions the night of Tuesday, Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. in Stopher Gym.
The offense continues to run smoothly off the efforts of sophomores MB Aaliyah Burras, OH Emily Gauthreaux & RS Katie Jones, each of which has already broken the 100-kill plateau on the season; meanwhile, freshman OH Jackie Alanis & junior OH Kate Hoerdemann have effectively utilized their talents on the attack, racking up 97 kills apiece thus far with the former posting an impressive .228 hitting percentage.
Defensively, Burras continues to dominate in terms of blocks, securing 40.0 already this season with four solo & three assists coming in Saturday’s win over McNeese. As for digs, senior L Emily Venable has been resilient statistically, racking up a team-best 191 on the year, but both Hoerdemann & sophomore DS Kylie Lockhart have proven effective as well, combining for 237 between the pair.
WHAT: Nicholls vs. Southeastern Louisiana
WHEN: Tuesday, Oct. 1 | 7 p.m.
WHERE: Stopher Gym | Thibodaux, La.
MEDIA: Live Stats | Watch
- Kallie Noble enters her first season leading the Colonels, and currently sports a 7-6 (1-1) overall record with the Red & Gray.
- The team boasts two seniors: DS Emily Venable and OH Jennifer Olivarez.
- This year’s roster is highlighted by eight newcomers, as junior OH Kate Hoerdemann joined the program as transfer from Memphis while freshmen DS Rebecka Bollinger, OH Devon Bright, DS Bailey Lyons, OH Jackie Alanis, S Lilly Bivens, OH/S Jaida Felix and MB Abigail Bouzigard signed on directly from high school.
- This season’s depth chart features seven players from across the state of Louisiana, six from Texas, a pair from Illinois and one from each of the following: Georgia, Indiana, Missouri and South Carolina.
- The Colonels were projected to finish 12th in the Southland Conference, per the league’s preseason poll.
- Nicholls returns four of last season’s seven starters, including senior DS Emily Venable, junior MB Kimberly Iwunze and sophomores MB Aaliyah Burras & RS/OH Katie Jones.
With the two-match home stand concluded, the Red & Gray turn their attention to a quick roadtrip just across state lines to Houston Baptist, squaring off against the Huskies on Thursday, Oct. 3 at 6:30 p.m. in Houston, Texas.
For more information on Colonels Volleyball, follow the team on Twitter (@Nicholls_VB), Instagram (@nicholls_vb) and like their Facebook page (Nicholls Volleyball).
Article sourced from provided press release.