- Staff Reporter
THIBODAUX, La. — Following the one match roadtrip across state lines, the Nicholls State University women’s volleyball program (8-7, 2-2 Southland) turns attention back home as the Colonels host Abilene Christian (4-10, 2-2 Southland) on Thursday evening, first serve against the Wildcats set for 7 p.m. at Stopher Gym in Thibodaux, La.
Individually, the sophomore duo of OH Emily Gauthreaux & RS Katie Jones has powered the Red & Gray’s offensive engine, slotting first (147) & second (146), respectively, in terms of total team kills while averaging over 2.60 kills per set each. As the team’s primary setter, junior S Meghan Wozniak has clinched national notoriety for her consistent play, ranking at 102nd in total assists (517) and 134th in assists per set (8.91).
Defensively, senior L Emily Venable stands out as the squad’s top digger (223) as she inches closer to the program’s Top Five all-time list in the category (34 short of fifth place), but recent production from OH Kate Hoerdemann has seen the junior move into a firm second place on the team, racking up 175 digs thus far.
- Kallie Noble enters her first season leading the Colonels, and currently sports a 8-7 (2-2) overall record with the Red & Gray.
- The team boasts two seniors: DS Emily Venable and OH Jennifer Olivarez.
- This year’s roster is highlighted by eight newcomers, as junior OH Kate Hoerdemann joined the program as transfer from Memphis while freshmen DS Rebecka Bollinger, OH Devon Bright, DS Bailey Lyons, OH Jackie Alanis, S Lilly Bivens, OH/S Jaida Felix and MB Abigail Bouzigard signed on directly from high school.
- This season’s depth chart features seven players from across the state of Louisiana, six from Texas, a pair from Illinois and one from each of the following: Georgia, Indiana, Missouri and South Carolina.
- The Colonels were projected to finish 12th in the Southland Conference, per the league’s preseason poll.
- Nicholls returns four of last season’s seven starters, including senior DS Emily Venable, junior MB Kimberly Iwunze and sophomores MB Aaliyah Burras & RS/OH Katie Jones.
WHAT: Abilene Christian at Nicholls
WHEN: Thursday, Oct. 10 | 7 p.m.
WHERE: Stopher Gym | Thibodaux, Louisiana
Following this home battle, the Red & Gray remain in Thibodaux for yet another Southland match, hosting a 10 a.m. contest against Incarnate Word on Thursday, Oct. 12 at Stopher Gym.
Article sourced from provided press release.