- Staff Reporter
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The Nicholls State University women’s soccer program (3-6-1, 0-3-0 Southland) heads back on the road for pair of Southland matchups this weekend, initially squaring off against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (4-5-1, 1-1-1 Southland) on Friday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m. before trekking back north for a contest with HBU (1-9-0, 0-3-0 Southland) on Sunday, Oct. 6 at 1 p.m.
The Islanders have found recent success over the past five games, boasting a 3-1-1 record during that span, while the Huskies have struggled since the season’s second match, currently riding a nine-match losing streak which dates back to Aug. 30; meanwhile, the Colonels aim to pick up some momentum in the conference standings after dropping the team’s first trio of contests, falling to preseason No. 1 Abilene Christian & No. 3 Lamar as well as league undefeated UIW.
WHAT: Nicholls at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
WHEN: Friday, Oct. 4 | 7 p.m.
WHERE: Dr. Jack Dugan Soccer and Track & Field Stadium | Corpus Christi, Texas
MEDIA: Live Stats | Watch
- WHAT: Nicholls at HBU
WHEN: Sunday, Oct. 6 | 1 p.m.
WHERE: Sorrels Field | Houston, Texas
MEDIA: Live Stats | Watch
- Danny Free enters his first season leading Nicholls, and currently sports a 3-6-1 (0-3-0) overall record with the Red & Gray.
- The team boasts six seniors: GK Roosa Hurmerinta, D Jeanne Harson, F/MF Tessa Calabria, MF Elisabet Gunnthorsdottir, F/MF Blaire Laiche & F Kristy Helmers.
- This year’s roster is highlighted by nine newcomers, as junior F Cato Hom joined the program as a junior college transfer while freshmen MF Alicia Carlos, MF Lara Treuheit, D Caryn Bonadona, D Karina Gonzalez, F Sydney Wallace, MF Tabea Czech, F/MF Makena Terrell & F Maegan Terrell signed on directly from high school.
- This season’s depth chart features 11 players from across the state of Louisiana, five from Texas, a pair from Australia, another two from Germany and one from each of the following: Iceland, Finland & the Netherlands.
- The Colonels were projected to finish 12th in the Southland Conference, per the league’s preseason poll.
- Nicholls returns six of last season’s 11 starters, including seniors GK Roosa Hurmerinta, MF Elisabet Gunnthorsdottir, MF/D Blaire Laiche & D Jeanne Harson along with junior MF Hannah Bodron and sophomore D Caroline Morton.
After returning from the two-match roadtrip, the Colonels host in-state rival McNeese on Friday, Oct. 11, kickoff against the Cowgirls set for 4 p.m. at the Nicholls Soccer Complex in Thibodaux, La.
For more information on Colonels Women’s Soccer, follow the team on Twitter (@Nicholls_SOC), Instagram (@geauxcolonels) and like their Facebook page (Nicholls Athletics).
Article sourced from provided press release.