- Staff Reporter
NEW ORLEANS, La. — With the four preseason tournaments concluded, the Nicholls State University women’s volleyball team (6-5, 0-0 Southland) officially turns their attention to the team’s Southland Conference opener, taking a short roadtrip east to face in-state rival UNO (8-7, 1-0 Southland) on Thursday, Sept. 26 at 6:30 p.m. in New Orleans, La.
Offensively, the Red & Gray have flourished behind the efforts of an experienced trio of sophomores — MB Aaliyah Burras, OH Emily Gauthreaux & RS Katie Jones — totaling between them just over half of the squad’s total kills (53.3 percent) on the season, not to mention individual kill per set ratios of 2.40 or better. Freshman OH Jackie Alanis has also maintained an notable attacking presence for the Colonels, leading the team in kills per set (2.97) and posting a squad-high 13 service aces.
Defensively, senior L Emily Venable & junior OH Kate Hoerdemann have managed a majority of the Red & Gray’s digging (258 combined) responsibilities; meanwhile, Burras continues to anchor the team’s blocking, notching 30.0 on the season thus far.
WHAT: Nicholls at New Orleans
WHEN: Thursday, Sept. 26
WHERE: Human Performance Center | New Orleans, La.
MEDIA: Live Stats | Watch
- Kallie Noble enters her first season leading the Colonels, and currently sports a 6-5 overall record with the Red & Gray.
- The team boasts two seniors: DS Emily Venable and OH Jennifer Olivarez.
- This year’s roster is highlighted by eight newcomers, as junior OH Kate Hoerdemann joined the program as transfer from Memphis while freshmen DS Rebecka Bollinger, OH Devon Bright, DS Bailey Lyons, OH Jackie Alanis, S Lilly Bivens, OH/S Jaida Felix and MB Abigail Bouzigard signed on directly from high school.
- This season’s depth chart features seven players from across the state of Louisiana, six from Texas, a pair from Illinois and one from each of the following: Georgia, Indiana, Missouri and South Carolina.
- The Colonels were projected to finish 12th in the Southland Conference, per the league’s preseason poll.
- Nicholls returns four of last season’s seven starters, including senior DS Emily Venable, junior MB Kimberly Iwunze and sophomores MB Aaliyah Burras & RS/OH Katie Jones.
After kicking off the Southland schedule at New Orleans, the Colonels make a quick turnaround as they host in-state opponent McNeese on Saturday, Sept. 28, first serve against the Cowgirls set for 1 p.m. at Stopher Gym in Thibodaux, La.
For more information on Colonels Volleyball, follow the team on Twitter (@Nicholls_VB), Instagram (@nicholls_vb) and like their Facebook page (Nicholls Volleyball).
Article sourced from provided press release.