- Staff Reporter
BEAUMONT, Texas — After splitting the final non-conference matchups over the weekend, the Nicholls State University women’s soccer program (3-3-1, 0-0-0 Southland) aims to post a quick start in Southland competition, trekking east for a contest at Lamar (3-5-0, 0-0-0 Southland) on Saturday, Sept. 21 at 7 p.m. in Beaumont, Texas. The Cardinals enter the match boasting a two-game win streak (Texas Southern & Oral Roberts), officially recovering from a three-game losing stretch in which LU surrendered 14 total goals while scoring just one in the process.
On the attack, senior Blaire Laiche continues to spearhead the Colonels’ scoring efforts, ranking 25th nationally behind six total goals while posting averages of 3.14 shots/match & 1.57 shots-on-goal/match, both inside the Top 100 nationwide (94th & 95th, respectively). Meanwhile, fellow senior Elisabet Gunnthorsdottir maintains a solid national ranking in shot accuracy (91st), notching eight shots-on-goal out of 14 shots for a .571 efficiency rating.
**SCHEDULE ALERT: The Lamar match was originally slated for Friday, Sept. 20 at 7 p.m. but was rescheduled for Saturday, Sept. 21 at 7 p.m. due to weather concerns in Beaumont, Texas.**
- Danny Free enters his first season leading Nicholls, and currently sports a 3-3-1 overall record with the Red & Gray.
- The team boasts six seniors: GK Roosa Hurmerinta, D Jeanne Harson, F/MF Tessa Calabria, MF Elisabet Gunnthorsdottir, F/MF Blaire Laiche & F Kristy Helmers.
- This year’s roster is highlighted by nine newcomers, as junior F Cato Hom joined the program as a junior college transfer while freshmen MF Alicia Carlos, MF Lara Treuheit, D Caryn Bonadona, D Karina Gonzalez, F Sydney Wallace, MF Tabea Czech, F/MF Makena Terrell & F Maegan Terrell signed on directly from high school.
- This season’s depth chart features 11 players from across the state of Louisiana, five from Texas, a pair from Australia, another two from Germany and one from each of the following: Iceland, Finland & the Netherlands.
- The Colonels were projected to finish 12th in the Southland Conference, per the league’s preseason poll.
- Nicholls returns six of last season’s 11 starters, including seniors GK Roosa Hurmerinta, MF Elisabet Gunnthorsdottir, MF/D Blaire Laiche & D Jeanne Harson along with junior MF Hannah Bodron and sophomore D Caroline Morton.
Following the solo opener against the Cardinals, the Red & Gray return to the bayou for back-to-back home matchups with Abilene Christian (Friday, Sept. 27) and UIW (Sunday, Sept. 29), hosting the pair of Southland opponents at the Nicholls Soccer Complex in Thibodaux, La.
For more information on Colonels Women’s Soccer, follow the team on Twitter (@Nicholls_SOC), Instagram (@geauxcolonels) and like their Facebook page (Nicholls Athletics).